Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Dinner

 Well, I certainly hope everyone has had a wonderful Easter weekend.
We had a quiet day, which is always nice. Hubby took Kikkoman and Petey out for a long (for them) walk in the sunshine (and snow) and they just loved it. Moki was very sad that she didn't get to go, but she will get a turn later. Kikko is really doing very well off leash and Hubby was happy to report that, even with the distraction of several other dogs and kids, he listened well and, eventually, did as he was told. So, yay there..
Teenager went over to her sister's yesterday, which is at least part of why our weekend has been so quiet. :) She is over there getting use to the newest member of her sister's family.. Ruby, a baby pot bellied pig. Very cute little thing, but she is very young and is still learning what she is and is not allowed to do. 
We're still waiting for Hubby's unemployment to end. There is possible hope being dangled in front of us right now, and in many ways, that is much worse then the not knowing anything at all. But I have a really good feeling about this week. 

Anyway, for our "Big Easter Feast" I always make a roasted chicken. This year Hubby requested a BBQ chicken, so to tie into that theme I made a pickled potato salad, corn on the cob, bread sticks and (for hubby..) pop biscuits, pickled deviled eggs and a blueberry lemon dump cake. I will also be pulling out some pickled beets from the pantry.





And not on to the recipes:
 
BBQ Roast Chicken

1 5 lb whole chicken
1/4 a medium onion roughly chopped
Your favorite bbq sauce. I used a hickory one
1/2 c water

Place chicken in your roasting pan. Insert chopped onion into cavity. Slather with bbq sauce. Make it as messy as you like. Add 1/2 c water to the bottom of the pan. Cover and let roast for @ 1 and a half hours until chicken is done and juices run clear. Carve as desired and move to serving plate.








Bread sticks

I so cheated this one the most by far. I used a package of Arrowhead Mills pizza crust mix and followed the instructions on the back for making bread sticks instead of pizza crust. I coated with olive oil dded a little salt and some parma.

 (Pictured on plate above.)


Davina's Pickled Potato Salad


5 small to medium potatoes, diced, boiled and drained
1 pint bottle pickled potatoes or turnips, drained
½ medium onion, diced
4 hard boiled eggs, diced
3 dill pickles (or 7 baby pickles) diced
4 stalks celery, diced (optional)
4-5 cloves pickled garlic, diced (or “plain” diced garlic)
salt and pepper to taste
mustard, regular and/or spicy
mayonnaise


So after boiling potatoes and eggs and allowing to cool, dice everything as finely or roughly as you'd like and combine everything into a large bowl. Mix to combine. Make this with spicey mustard and even horseradish if you'd like, or leave it mild and mellow. Add in some dill or other herbs.
Let refrigerate over night for best results.







Red and Yellow Pickled Deviled Eggs

I have to share this little experiment we did. A few days ago one of our friends was asking if we ever did pickled eggs. We never had, and neither of us had ever tried eating them. So this got us thinking about it and I boiled 3 eggs. 2 of them we stuck in a pickle jar that we'd just removed the last pickle from and the third one I stuck in the jar of pickled beets. We haven't pulled the "traditional" ones yet, but yesterday I pulled the one out of the beets. Oh that was a good egg. It was a beautiful color and the flavor was wonderful. Slightly sweet but nothing over powering. And the flavor of the yolk...  I will admit, I've never been a fan of egg yolks in hard boiled eggs. The flavor and texture just turn me off. But with this egg, I liked it. I wished I'd had more. So when I was boiling eggs for the potato salad, I made a few extra and I put them into the beets. This is what lead us to our red and yellow pickled deviled eggs.
I took the eggs out of the pickle juice and out of the pickled beet juice, sliced in half and harvested the yolks. To the yolks I added some mayo, a little bit of pickle juice and some dill. Return mixture to eggs and top with additional dill.




Roasted Corn on the Cob

Shuck your corn getting all husks and hair removed.  Place on a piece of tinfoil large enough to wrap your corn. Add butter and any seasonings you'd like. (We usually add a smidge of salt, some pepper and a little garlic) Wrap securely in foil and place in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
I realized after dinner that I forgot to put corn on the plate before taking pictures.. Actually, we forgot to even put it on the table. opps..  But we were all so full without it, we really didn't mind, and it means we'll have it for later! (Hubby is an Indiana boy, so he could sit and eat corn all day if I'd let him... of course, I'm a mix of Idaho and Nebraska so I'd likely join him, though I'd stop for tators once in a while.. hehee)
So here is what the finished corn looked like:


Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake



Mix cake mix according to package directions, adding a wee bit of lemon extract. Add more or less depending on how lemony you want your cake.
Pour into greased cake pan and add dollops of blueberry pie filling throughout the cake. Bake according to directions. You may need to add some additional bake time to allow for the pie filling. Allow to cool and serve with whipped cream or cool whip.




Now, I also made some pop biscuits for Hubby and the Teen. I pretty much did this just so I could try making those silly biscuit bunnies that have been all over Facebook this past few weeks. so glad we didn't have super high expectations.

Here's what they looked like going into the oven...



And this is what they looked like when they were done. We decided they looked more like deranged and angry cats then bunnies. Oh well.











No comments:

Post a Comment