Sunday, March 17, 2013

St Patrick's Day Pot Roast

So today is St Patrick's Day. My family never really did much to celebrate this day. I do have some Irish in me, but, growing up, we never did much more then maybe put some green food coloring in things.
After I grew up and went out on my own, I started doing a bit more. I'm still no fan of corned beef, but I love colcannon and some lightly steamed cabbage wedges with my roast beef. And I loved soda bread. There are oodles of recipes for gluten free soda bread, but this year I gave it a skip. Since I married 10 years ago, I only make colcannon on the years my hubby's not home for the holiday, as he can't stand it. Doesn't like me messing up good potatoes by putting "weeds" in them. We do compromise and sometimes I will make potato cakes or something instead. I do occasionally make colcannon and the like for myself anyway, but this year I'm going fairly simple. This is partially due to our financial situation right now, and partially because I accidentally glutened myself earlier this week and have been dealing with massive headaches and fatigue all week, so simple is better..
So our Sunday dinner on this holiday weekend, is going to be a very simple pot roast.

3.5 lb beef shoulder roast
1/2 c beef stock
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c sherry
1 small onion, chopped
carrots
potatoes
salt
pepper
additional seasoning as desired
cabbage wedges, mushrooms, optional
*additional root veggies if desired
 


I started by putting my roast into my roasting pan and adding a nice dry rub of salt, pepper and, by request, some steak seasoning.  Then added my liquids around and to the bottom of the pan.
Sometimes I will brown my roasts first, today I didn't because I was honestly just feeling too lazy to do it.. :)







Then I quartered several potatoes, cut up some carrots and a small onion and added them to the pan. Add as many root veggies as you'd like to fill the pan. I then scattered about 2 handfuls of dried mushrooms, crumbled, to the top.
I will be adding a small wedge of cabbage to the top of this later, but that won't need nearly the cook time that the rest of this all will.



I placed the lid on the pan and put it in the oven at 300 degrees and let it cook for about 3 hours or so. I put the cabbage in for about 10 minutes at the end.
When everything is done, remove veggies to serving plate and move roast to it's serving plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so. While meat is resting, you will have time to make gravy from the drippings! Place about a tablespoon of corn starch into a small bowl and add a small amount of the liquids from your pan. Whisk together until starch is fully dissolved. Add this back into the pan and place your roaster over medium heat. Whisk together and bring to a boil, stirring frequently until it has thickened.
Slice everything up and serve.

Pot roast with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Covered in onions and gravy. Yum!
Hubby thought this was one of the best roasts ever. The Teenager wasn't home this evening, so we will be waiting on her input until later.. unless hubby goes back for thirds.. or fourths... He skipped the steamed cabbage and just had cole slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment