Thursday, April 4, 2013

Orange Chicken


Ok, so this is an older recipe that I made a while back and posted for some friends elsewhere. Since there is not much going on right now with money being tight, I thought I would pull it out, brush it off and repost it here. So here you go.

This recipe makes about 2 servings and is really pretty easy to make.

Gluten Free Orange Chicken with Snow Peas

Part 1 is to prepare the chicken
You will need 10 oz of chicken cut into bite sized chunks, salted and peppered. Place seasoned chicken chunks into a warm skillet with some broth in it and cooked it that way until done. If your broth evaporates and it starts to stick, just add a bit more broth.

Part 2 is the sauce
Some of this you might want to do before you start your chicken so it's all ready to go.
You will need:
1/4 c broth
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp low sugar orange marmalade (I just used some from those little gift baskets you always get at the holidays.. no one in our house really likes marmalade, so it kinda accumulates..)
1 1/2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (I didn't have seasoned, so just used plain..)
1 tbsp splenda, granulated (or other sugar of your choice.. I used coconut sugar)
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (I use the Fred Meyer brand cuz it's gluten free and cheaper, I know La Choy also has a GF low sodium blend.. or other soy type sauce if you don't do soy..coconut aminos are a popular substitute, though I haven't found them up here yet to try them.)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger (I don't use it often enough right now to have on hand, so i used powdered..)
"dash" of red pepper flakes
2 tbsp chopped scallions/green onions for garnish

So, to make the sauce, you place your broth and corn starch in a medium bowl and whisk to combine until the corn starch has dissolved. Add the marmalade, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce and mix that all in.

Once your chicken has all cooked, remove it from the pan (may have to be cooked in batches) set it aside and add the garlic and fresh ginger to the pan. Add more broth if needed. You want it to just soften and release the flavor and odor. You do not want much broth left in the pan at this point. Once the garlic and ginger is done, add the contents of the sauce bowl and the red pepper flakes. Cook that, occasionally stirring until it starts to thicken. 1-2 minutes
Remove from heat and add the chicken back to the pan. Toss or gently stir to coat and toss with scallions.

I served over rice with steamed snow pea pods on the side.

Notes:
I really did like this. Though I think I over did the red pepper flakes.. it was a bit hot for me, so I opened a can of mandarin oranges and tossed those in as well to add a bit more sweetness to counteract the heat. Will definitely be cutting way down on those in the future.
This certainly gets a thumbs up and I will be making it again, and am considering adding more veggies to it or something maybe as well. I debated breading the chicken, but I'm actually pretty glad I skipped it. It tasted just fine and I really didn't miss it at all.
If you can't have corn, I'm sure that potato or tapioca or one of the other starches would work.
If you can't have the garlic, I'm sure you could just leave that out and still be just fine

No comments:

Post a Comment