Friday, March 22, 2013

Name that Chicken!

So Friday afternoon I started thinking about what we were going to do for dinner. I knew it was going to involve chicken. I had a package of chicken pieces thawing in the fridge. But I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. So I took to the internet to look for ideas.
I found a recipe that sounded good, but was going to need a little bit of tweaking as I didn't have quite everything called for, and there were a few herbs and spices that Hubby HATES so I couldn't use those.  So, it wound up taking a few turns.
It turned out pretty well though. Hubby loved the sauce, and when we were discussing names for this recipe, the Teenager replied with, "Food, the good kind" as her submission... lol

I made a bit more then I'm going to give you ingredients for. I made a lot so I can take it a bit easy tomorrow and not have to cook so much.

1 4-lb chicken, cut into pieces (or approximate values for thighs or drumsticks, etc..)
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp oil (I used a red pepper infused olive oil)

1 c chicken broth or stock
1/2 c white wine (or more stock)
1 small onion, sliced
2 tbsp dried mushrooms

14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp basil
1-2 bay leaves
2 oz diced jalapenos




Heat olive oil in a large skillet and fry chicken pieces until browned. Lightly season chicken with salt while frying. Remove and set aside.













To skillet, add chicken broth, white wine, onion and mushrooms. Saute onions until soft. Liquid will reduce some and that is ok.










While onions are cooking, combine tomatoes, garlic and basil.  Once onions are soft, add tomato mixture to the onions and add bay leaves. Return chicken to the pan and add jalapenos.









Cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Onions and tomatoes will caramelize a bit. This makes them delicious..









      



 Serve with buttered rice and salad.










Bonus note:  Ok, so I have this lovely 14 inch cast iron fry pan. I love this pan. But I don't have a lid for it. I really need to go find one, but for now, I don't have one, and until Hubby gets back on the lists of the employed, I'm not going to be getting one soon.. But, I have a work around for this. Hopefully this will be an obvious hint for most of you, but I know there is always one :)

tinfoil!!
And a contest... of sorts...

We couldn't agree on a name for this dish, so I've decided to open it up to suggestions! Some audience participation as it were.. So, what would you call this dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment