Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: 365 Slow Cooker Suppers

A week ago I received an advance review copy of Stephanie O'Dea's new cookbook, 365 Slow Cooker Suppers. I have to say, I've been following her blog, A Year of Slow Cooking for a few years. I discovered her about a year before learning that I needed to go gluten free and I really hadn't noticed that her recipes were all gluten free, or easily could be as long as you check your ingredients, you know, use gluten free soy sauce, or gluten free breads, that sort of thing. So when I did have to make that change and started looking for gluten free resources online, I was happy to discover that one of my favorite blogs was just full of great, yummy recipes.
So when I had the chance to review her new cookbook, I was thrilled! This book is wonderful, the first time I glanced through it, I easily found a dozen recipes that we just have to try. This book is filled with great recipes and wonderful, bright pictures. The recipes are broken down into the following categories: soups and stews, beans, poultry, beef and lamb, pork, sandwiches, meatless main dishes, and fish and seafood.
The recipes we've tried have been wonderful. The first dish we had to try was the 5 ingredient stroganoff. We've tried making gluten free stoganoff before, generally the recipes called for gluten free cream of mushroom soup, and it really wasn't very good. This recipe, however, was divine. my non-gluten free hubby, first bite in, said "next time you make this..." That is high praise from him, especially after just one bite. It was so creamy and delicious. We are definately going to be making this on a regular basis. Hubby and I had 2 bowls and my step daughter really enjoyed it as well. I had some of the left overs for lunch today and it was still so very good.
I, of course, can't share the recipe here, but you should totally go pick up this book. If you know anyone who has recently had to go gluten free, this would be a great gift, or if you want to know you can prepare safe meals for them at your home, again, this would be a great book to add to your collection. And even if you aren't gluten free, this is still a great recipe book. The recipes are all easy, quick, and sure to please your entire family.

No comments:

Post a Comment